These are DIVINE. A great chocolate-on-chocolate recipes that always wows. Plus … it’s my Mother’s favorite so they have a special place in my heart. Thanks to Beyond Frosting for the recipe!
Easy doctored-up cake mix recipe. Yields 26 Cupcakes
1 Box Betty Crocker Chocolate fudge cake mix
1 C Reduced-fat sour cream
3/4 C Water
1/2 C Vegetable oil
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
3 Large eggs
- Mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Fill your lined cupcake pan 2/3 full per cupcake. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of your cupcake and if it comes out clean, then they’re done. You may have to adjust the cooking time based on your oven.
Brownie Batter Frosting
Adapted from Beyond Frosting
2 Sticks butter at room temperature
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/3 C + 1 tbsp Unsweetened dark cocoa powder (I used Hersey’s Special Dark)
2/3 C Powdered brownie mix (from a box)
2 tsp Milk
3 C Powdered sugar
1/3 C Light corn syrup
2 tsp Hot water
- If you have a stand mixer, combine the softened butter and vanilla extract, beating on a medium speed until smooth. If you are like me and use an electric hand beater, you get an arm workout until the butter is light and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift cocoa powder and brownie mix together. Yes, you must sift this! The fine powder ensures it will properly mix into your batter. Add to your butter and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Next, add 2 tsp of milk and beat into the frosting. I added the milk because it adds a real creaminess to the frosting. The frosting will be a little grainy, which is very reminiscent of actual brownie batter.
- Continue to slowly add your powdered sugar while beating on a medium speed. Your batter will be come very thick. Once you have added all of your powdered sugar, quickly add your corn syrup and continue to beat until well combined.
- Lastly, add 2 tsp hot water and increase speed to medium-high for 30 seconds until well mixed. The speed at the end to help make the frosting a little bit lighter.
Top your frosted cupcakes with crumbled bits of brownies.