I came across this easy donut recipe from onsugarmountain.com and instantly put it on deck to make with Adelaide. So … we did this Saturday when we finally had a lazy morning while Daddy was out golfing and Oliver was taking an amazing God-knew-I-needed-it long nap.
These donuts were super easy to make and really good. We ate them plain and then had to stop ourselves so we would have some to eat with frosting. I have a donut baking pan so that’s what I used but a mini donut maker would work fine, too. You’ll also see my substitutions. Since I live in Tobago, I often don’t have all ingredients but I always find a workaround.
Adelaide calls these “Pink Donuts.”
- 1 box Strawberry Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (I substituted with what I had: milk and a bit of vinegar)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted (and slightly cooled) butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat with electric hand mixer until the batter is smooth.
- Pour donut batter into a ziploc bag, then cut the corner to pipe donut batter into your pan. I fill it a little less than half full to get a good donut shape (and it’s easier to come out of the pan).
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack while you make the frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp heavy cream (I substituted with what I had one hand: skim milk and a bit of cooled melted butter)
- Whisk together sugar and cream/milk until a thick glaze forms. You can adjust the amount of heavy cream to get the right consistency.
- Dip half of donut into frosting, then cover with sprinkles and let sit until dry.
Thanks to Jessica Gonzalez | On Sugar Mountain